Monday 19 July 2010

Taking inspiration from real 50's glamour.

Quite recently I was modelling for a 50's style lingerie shoot, and on gathering my outfits and accessories (of which I can assure you there are many!) I stumbled upon a jewellry box that I hadn't opened for quite some time. Inside, I found the most perfect set of real vintage pearls. I inherited them from my nanna, who had inherited them herself from my great aunt. There was also a whole range of costume jewellry that was far more genuinely vintage than anything you can find in the highstreet shops. I took the pearls with me and wore them for the shoot to inject a bit of real 50's glamour into the costumes. I haven't seen the images yet, but I'm sure nanna would be proud!

However, this started me thinking about grand mothers and the style from their youth, which is in effect what pin-up models are emulating. I remember being 3 years old and discovering a pair of red stilletto high heels in my nanna's wardrobe. She was already suffering from arthritus by then and thus totally unable to wear them, but she kept them, almost as a part of herself that she did not want to let go of. For some reason, those red high heels have always stayed with me and I will never forget my excitement at 18 of buying my first pair of "pin-up" style shoes. They were red and shiny, just like nanna had.

The glamour of the 50's style goes without saying, but I think it's so fabulous to be inspired by somebody else's style in such a subconscious way. When my nanna died, we found lots of old photos and one of them was of her wearing a swimsuit. It was by no means a racy Bettie Page style photograph, but I still couldn't help but remark on what great legs she had as a young woman.

I think that when we look back on the 1950s, we are inclined to think of the models and movie stars who captured the typical 50s look, but I think sometimes we tend to overlook the 'real' women, who were just as stylish, glamourous and inspiring in their styles. There's a part of me that still wishes I'd kept those red stillettos to sit in the wardrobe beside my own.

4 comments:

  1. Very insightful. Great post. Can't wait to see the images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully put. Your last paragraph particularly has me thinking about old family photographs. I must have a mooch through them sometime - particularly as my direct female relatives are no long alive to describe it all to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks John, I'm glad you liked the entry. I'm still waiting on the images, but they're sure to be on facebook (and some on here) as soon as I receive them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked it Jo. It's definitely worth having a look at old family photos, it's always really interesting and sometimes really surprising too. My nanna always looked quite old and frail when I was a kid cos I was the youngest of 11 grandchildren, so seeing her looking so young was amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete